Last Updated on December 20, 2023 by Ewen Finser
Sortly is a great flexible, all-purpose inventory software, but there’s definitely some reasons to consider competitors.
Namely, these are some I’ve experienced and come across personally:
- Too Much Flexibility: All those flexible folder configurations are nice, but at the end of the day doesn’t take into account attributes like sales, discounts, taxes, and freight charges, making it difficult to get a “true” cost or profit number for some businesses.
- Lack of Dedicated Order Management: Sortly gets the inventory management component down, but really doesn’t have a dedicated order workflow management like some of their top peers, which is particularly problematic for more robust supply chains and logistics processes.
- Limited Support: As a more affordable inventory solution, Sortly doesn’t have the full dedicated support of some of their peers. For example, email tickets are the primary means of support and there’s no live chat or phone number to contact for pressing issues.
So with all that being said, here’s how I’d stack up the best apps similar to Sortly, but with some noticeably improvements:
Summary: One of the top alternatives to Sortly is inFlow Inventory. This robust platform offers comprehensive inventory and order management functionalities.
- Inventory Management: Track your stock across multiple locations, and set custom fields to capture extra data.
- Order Management: Manage purchase and sales orders seamlessly.
- Manufacturing: Create new products out of raw materials or combine multiple items into bundles or kits.
- Integrations and API: Connect with ecommerce and accounting apps for seamless data transfer.
- Advanced order management capabilities make it ideal for businesses that need end-to-end tracking.
- Manufacturing add-ons allow for more flexible product creation and management.
- Provides control over user access rights, enhancing team efficiency and accountability.
- The platform might be more specialized than necessary for businesses only needing basic inventory management.
- It’s more expensive than Sortly, starting at $89/month for 2 users, paid annually.
Summary: Katana stands out as a cloud-based inventory management platform, designed specifically for manufacturers and product sellers.
- Multichannel Sales and Production Management: Full visibility of inventory across different sales channels and locations.
- SKU Management: Track inventory with SKU codes for better product identification.
- Complete Traceability: Track batches, serial numbers, and expiry dates for granular control over inventory.
- Multilocation: Manage inventory across multiple factories, warehouses, or items in consignment.
- Provides a comprehensive suite of tools for manufacturers, including production planning and assembly tracking.
- Offers a competitive pricing model, with plans starting at $99 per month.
- Provides 24/7 phone support, ensuring you have help when you need it.
- It’s designed primarily for businesses that hold their own inventory, making it less ideal for drop-shippers.
- There’s a learning curve to fully utilize all of its features.
Summary: Linnworks is another excellent Sortly alternative, providing robust multichannel management automation.
- Multichannel Management: Sync your inventory across multiple sales channels in real time.
- Order Fulfillment: Automate your order processing workflows for quicker fulfillment.
- Reporting and Analytics: Gain valuable insights into your sales trends, stock turnover, and performance.
- Offers a comprehensive suite of tools for managing inventory and orders across various sales channels.
- Provides detailed analytics and reporting to help you make data-driven decisions.
- Offers a free demo, enabling you to test out its features before committing.
- Pricing is upon request, which might not suit businesses looking for upfront pricing transparency.
Summary: ShipBob is an end-to-end inventory and fulfillment solution that’s perfect for businesses looking for a comprehensive approach to inventory management.
- End-to-End Fulfillment: Manage your inventory and fulfillment process from one platform.
- Real-Time Inventory Tracking: Stay on top of your stock levels with real-time tracking.
- Order Automation: Automate order forwarding to warehouses and dropship suppliers for fulfilment.
- Provides a seamless end-to-end order, inventory, and shipping management solution.
- Offers 24/7 support on all plans, ensuring you always have access to help.
- Integrates with top e-commerce and shipping platforms for streamlined operations.
- Pricing is upon request, which may not suit businesses looking for upfront transparency.
- Requires a minimum of 3,500 orders per month, making it less suitable for smaller businesses.
Summary: Zoho Inventory is a cost-effective alternative to Sortly, offering a free plan as well as affordable paid options.
- Inventory Tracking: Keep track of your stock levels in real-time.
- Order Fulfilment: Streamline your order processing workflows.
- Reporting and Analytics: Get insights into your sales trends, performance, and stock turnover.
- Offers a free plan, making it an affordable choice for small businesses or startups.
- Integrates with Zoho Books, CRM, Analytics, and Sign apps.
- Provides support via email and an online help center.
- Limited e-commerce and marketplace integrations compared to other platforms.
6. Sage X3
Summary: Sage X3 is a comprehensive enterprise resource planning (ERP) package that includes robust inventory management capabilities.
- Comprehensive ERP: Manage all your business processes, including inventory, from one platform.
- Real-Time Tracking: Monitor your inventory levels in real-time.
- Reporting and Analytics: Get detailed reports on your inventory and overall business performance.
- Offers a comprehensive solution for managing all business processes, including inventory.
- Provides a free demo, allowing you to test its features before committing.
- Integrates with other Sage products for seamless data transfer.
- Pricing is upon request, which may not suit businesses looking for upfront pricing transparency.
Summary: MRPeasy is a powerful inventory management software designed specifically for manufacturers, making it an excellent alternative to Sortly for businesses in this sector.
- Manufacturing-Focused: Provides tools specifically designed for manufacturers.
- Inventory Tracking: Keep track of your raw materials and finished goods in real-time.
- Order Management: Manage your purchase and sales orders seamlessly.
- Offers a comprehensive suite of tools specifically designed for manufacturers.
- Provides support via email and an online help center.
- Offers a 30-day free trial, allowing you to test its features before committing.
- Pricing is per user per month, which may not be ideal for businesses with a large team.
So What’s the Right Option for YOUR Business?
There’s a few really good options here to consider, but I’d break it down a bit further based on some common business use cases I see in the wild:
- Need more advanced end-to-end tracking? There’s no question in my mind that inFlow is the better alternative here.
- Need a manufacturing-friendly solution with 24/7 support? I’m going with Katana here (a good option really for anyone who’s been let down by Sortly’s support).
The other solutions mentioned here are all good options to consider, but likely VERY business case dependent whereas I’m more confident recommending inflow and Katana to a more general audience of logistics businesses.
Additional Inventory Management Tools by Use case
Here’s a few platform and use case specific guides for certain types of inventory management setups: