Last Updated on August 9, 2021 by DMEditor
The e-commerce business is growing faster than ever, with the number of digital buyers predicted to hit 2.05 billion in 2020, and rise to 2.14 billion by 2021.
So if you’ve been toying with the idea of starting a business, now is without a doubt the best time to get started.
The fact that you can use print on demand sites to create and sell your products really is the cherry on the cake when it comes to getting started in eCommerce, and there are so many benefits to using print-on-demand services, including:
- No upfront cost for the products you sell. You only need to pay for an item once you have sold a product. The customer will pay you, and you will buy the product from the print on demand site, and have it shipped directly to your customer, keeping a nice slice of the profit margin.
- No stock to hold. You never need to worry about having space for stock, so no warehouse fees, and no insurance fees.
- You can sell as many different products as you want. Want to sell 100 different hoodies or t-shirt designs? No problem! You can sell as many different types of products in as many variations as you want, with no need to worry about having them manufactured in advance, and no need to worry about there to store them.
- Low overheads for your business, the only thing you will need to pay for upfront is your eCommerce demand platform.
- No need to worry about packing and shipping products. Your products will be shipped directly to your customers when they are ready, so no more time-consuming trips to the post office, leaving you free to focus on growing your business.
So without further ado, let’s take a look at the best print on demand sites around. We are going to be looking at the key features each of these websites offers, as well as the benefits and downsides of using each service, and of course, the pricing/fees involved, so that you can decide for yourself which of these print on demand sites is the best option for your business.
Let’s take a look…
Table of Contents
- 1 Best Print On Demand Sites in 2021
- 2 Printify
- 3 Printful
- 4 SPOD
- 5 Zazzle
- 6 Gooten
- 7 Teespring
- 8 CustomCat
- 9 Frequently Asked Questions:
- 10 Conclusion: Best Print on Demand Sites: Who Wins?
Best Print On Demand Sites in 2021
Printify is a ‘Print on Demand’ company that allows you to create custom products that you can sell on your own website. They have over 200 POD products to choose from including t shirt (t shirt business), hoodies, mugs, bags (tote bags and more), home decor, canvas prints, and much more. They work with a number of different print providers, so you can choose the one that works best for you and your customers based on your location, the fulfillment time, and the product base price.
There is a free mockup generator, which enables you to apply your design to a mockup of your chosen product, so you can see exactly what it will look like when it’s printed. You can switch colours and designs at the click of a button, before previewing your product on a high-resolution image, which you can add to your online store.
Printify integrates with all of the most popular eCommerce platforms including Shopify, eBay and Etsy, so as soon as your customer places an order, it will automatically be sent to Printify who will start making your product.
Once your product is ready to be shipped, Printify can handle that too. They will pack your product for you with your custom printed label, and ship it directly to your customer.
The Benefits of Using Printify
- The free mockup generator allows you to see exactly how your product will look before it goes to print.
- You can order product samples from your favourite suppliers, so you can check out the quality before starting to sell to your customers.
- Printify integrates with the most popular e-commerce platforms, so you can upload and sell your products and have them printed effortlessly.
- You can customize your shipping label with your own branding, and Printify’s logo will not appear anywhere on your product or packaging, so to your customer, it will look like your product has come directly from you.
- There is a completely free plan available, so you can start your business at no cost.
The Downsides to Using Printify
Although it does create high-quality images, the mockup generator can sometimes be glitchy and tricky to use. There are also some concerns about the customer service being slow to respond, which could be an issue for e-commerce store owners during busy periods.
Printify has two main plans: Free, and Premium. There is also the option of an Enterprise plan for larger businesses, which has custom pricing depending on your needs.
The Free plan lets you have up to 5 stores per account, and create unlimited product designs. It also includes the mockup generator, integrations with Shopify eBay, Etsy, and more, manual order creation, 24/7 merchant support, and a self-serve help centre.
The Premium plan costs $29/month and includes everything from the Free plan, as well as 10 stores per account, custom order imports, and up to 20% discount on all products.
If you would like to find out more about Printify, you can check out their website here.
See How Printify Compares to Other Services Here:
Printful is one of the most popular prints on demand sites around and is well known for being easy to use as well as providing great customer service.
They have a wide range of products to choose from, that you can customize and have these customized product packages (custom product) shipped dir ectly to your customers.
You can easily connect Printful to your e-commerce store, as Printful integrates with a huge number of platforms including Shopify, WooCommerce, Wix, Squarespace, Magento, Big Cartel, as well as demand marketplaces like eBay, Amazon, and Etsy.. Once you have connected your store you can start to choose which products you would like to include, and upload your custom designs.
There are a mockup and print file generator which you can use to create images of your products to go on your website. Once you have uploaded your product images to your website, you can start to sell your products.
As soon as a customer makes a purchase, the order will automatically be sent to the Printful factory where it will be printed, packed, and shipped to your customer with your own branding, and you will receive a tracking number so you will know when it has reached your customer.
Printful ship worldwide, with 5 fulfillment centres in North America and Europe, so you can choose the location which is closest to your customer, there is a range of affordable and reliable shipping carriers to choose from.
The Benefits of Using Printful
- Printful has 5 fulfillment centres in North America and Europe, so you can easily ship your products anywhere in the world.
- It’s very quick and easy to set up, and the website is user friendly.
- Everything is automated, so after you, the customer has purchased your product, you don’t need to do anything else.
- There are no upfront or monthly fees, you just pay for shipping and fulfillment once you have sold a product.
- There is a wide variety of different product types to choose from.
- All of your orders will be backed with your custom printed labels and pack-ins.
- There is a mobile app for iOS and Android, so you can check on your orders while you are on the go.
- Printful integrates with all of the most popular platforms
The Downsides to Using Printful
Some products are not available to be shipped worldwide, so you will need to check this if you are planning on selling globally.
Printful is completely free to use. You only need to pay for the product and fulfillment and shipping after your customer has made a purchase, so there are no upfront or monthly costs.
If you would like to find out more about Printful, you can visit their website here.
See How Printful Compares to Other Services Here:
SPOD is a print on demand service for Shopify that offers a 48-hour turnaround for its print on demand products – much faster than most other providers! They also claim to match or beat their competitors’ prices, so you know you will always have the highest profit margin possible with your products, and they have less than a 0.8% return rate for every 100,000 products shipped, so you can be sure the products your customers receive will be of the highest quality.
There are over 100 products to choose from including clothing for men, women, and children, and a range of accessories like mugs, aprons, bags, and backpacks, and more.
To start creating products you simply connect the customizer tool to your Shopify store, and from there you can select products, add designs and text, and rotate designs until you have created what you want. If the design is not your strong point, you can choose from a library of over 50,000 free designs, which you can use and sell as your own, leaving you more time to focus on marketing your business.
When your customer places an order, it is automatically sent straight to SPOD for production, and it’s guaranteed to be manufactured, packed, and shipped within 48 hours.
The Benefits of Using SPOD
- SPOD is designed for Shopify, so it connects and works seamlessly with your Shopify store.
- Competitive pricing – SPOD will match or beat their competitor’s prices.
- They offer a 48-hour turnaround for all print on demand products.
- They produce high-quality products and have a very low return rate.
- There are over 50,000 free designs to choose from that you can sell as your own if the design is not your strong point.
- The customizer tool is very easy to use, so you can start creating products straight away even with no experience.
The Downsides to Using SPOD
SPOD only works with Shopify, so if you’re not a Shopify user, then this is sadly not the tool for you. The other thing is that their product range isn’t quite as vast as their competitors.
SPOD is free to install and use, you just pay for the product, shipping, and fulfillment when you make a sale, so there are no upfront costs.
If you would like to find out more about SPOD, you can visit their website here.
Zazzle is one of the largest print on demand sites around, and they not only provide a print on demand service, but also a huge art marketplace too, where you can browse and buy printed products from other artists (and fine art print products).
They have a huge range of products to choose from, over 1,300 in fact! And their marketplace has around 30 million visitors each month, so it’s a great place to get your products seen. Their product range includes pretty much anything you could think of, including bedding, clothing (apparel), paper goods, home decor, food and drinkware, and even office supplies and gifts, so if you’re looking to sell a wide range of products, Zazzle could be the one for you.
The main difference with Zazzle compared to other print on demand sites, is that your shop will be hosted on Zazzle, rather than on your own Shopify or WooCommerce site, although you can create affiliate product links to your Zazzle products from your own online store if you want to.
The first thing you need to do to start using Zazzle is to create a member account which is quick and free to do. Once you are registered you can upload your designs and apply them to any of Zazzle’s art products, before listing them in your own shop on Zazzle.
With Zazzle, you can set your own prices and specify how much commission you want to make from each sale. The customer buys the product from your Zazzle shop and pays via Zazzle too. Zazzle will then create and ship your product to the customer, and Zazzle will give you your commission from the sale.
If you want to send buyers to Zazzle through your own e-commerce store, you will make a 15% affiliate commission on each sale, plus the commission you have set on your product!
The Benefits of Using Zazzle
- There are no hosting fees to set up a Zazzle store, so if you don’t want to set up your own website, you can just sell your products through Zazzle.
- Zazzle takes care of everything, all you need to do is upload your designs, so there is no need to worry about payments, shipping or fulfillment.
- You can link to your Zazzle products from your own e-commerce store, which will give you a 15% affiliate commission, as well as the commission you set yourself from your product sale.
- There is a huge range of products to choose from, and you can sell as many different products as you want.
- You have a ready-made customer base on the Zazzle marketplace.
- There are no minimum orders or fees to pay.
The Downsides to Using Zazzle
There is lots of competition in the Zazzle marketplace so you will also need to promote your products yourself if you want to make good money, also, the profit margins are quite slim. You will also have less control over your branding, unlike other print on demand sites who let you create white label products.
Zazzle is completely free to use, and you can set your own product commission.
If you would like to find out more about Zazzle, you can visit their website here.
Gooten is a white-label print-on-demand service with a wide range of products that you can put your designs on to sell in your store. You can use your Gooten account for any many different stores as you want if you decide to set up multiple brands. You can connect Gooten to your Shopify store, as well as Etsy, WooCommerce, and a large number of other online stores using Gooten’s API.
You can create products on Gooten, add them to your online store, and as soon as a customer places an order it will come straight through to Gooten who will print, pack, and ship the order directly to your customer. You can track and cancel orders from within the dashboard, as well as pause them for further customization if required.
Gooten has a huge range of products to choose from in their product catalogue including apparel, accessories, items for pets, wall art, apparel, and more.
Read our full Gooten Review here.
The Benefits of Using Gooten
- Gooten is easy to set up and use.
- They offer a good range of high-quality products.
- Gooten offers worldwide shipping for all products.
- Gooten has direct integrations with WooCommerce, Shopify app and Etsy.
- Gooten partners with several print companies, so there is no limit to the number of orders they can handle.
- There are no minimum order numbers for products.
The Downsides to Using Gooten
Gooten doesn’t have many integrations apart from Etsy, Shopify app, and WooCommerce. If you want to integrate with any other platform you will need to use Gooten’s API.
There is no monthly fee to use Gooten, you just pay for the product offering and shipping after you have made a sale.
If you would like to find out more about Gooten, you can visit their website here.
Teespring is a print on demand site that can be used by creators, artists (Artist Shop), and sellers. It enables you to sell your own products online without having to carry any stock. Teespring will take care of everything for you, including marketing, production, fulfillment, and customer service.
To get started, you simply need to head to the Teespring Launcher and start designing. There are over 50 products to choose from, and you can sell your products anywhere online by using Teesprings integrations. You can also take advantage of Teesprings boosted network which allows you to sell your products on marketplaces like Amazon, Etsy, eBay, Google shopping, YouTube Merch Shelf, and more.
Once a buyer places an order, Teespring will handle the production and shipping, and their customer service team will take care of any inquiries.
The Benefits of Using Teespring
- Teespring has no minimum purchase requirements.
- They can handle customer service for you.
- Teespring pricing is very transparent. You can see the cost of each product as well as mow much profit margin you will make for each sale.
- It’s a great option for Amazon sellers, or anyone who wants to get into e-commerce without having their own storefront, since you can take advantage of Teesprings ‘boosted network’, which allows you to sell on marketplaces like eBay, Walmart, JD.com, Wish, and more, so you can easily sell on a variety of platforms.
- Low barrier to entry for anyone who wants to get started in e-commerce with no budget.
- They have fulfillment bases in the US as well as Europe.
- Teespring has its own marketplace so you can get your products seen by a huge ready-made audience.
The Downsides to Using Teespring
Using Teespring gives you less control over your brand, since the sales will come through Teespring rather than your own website, and orders may be packed with Teespring branding. They also don’t have a very large product catalogue compared to other POD site and demand website options.
Teespring is completely free to use, and you choose the profit margin you make from your products.
If you would like to find out more about Teespring, you can visit their website here.
CustomCat is a digital printing company based in Detroit, which uses advanced technology to print custom clothing and apparel with no minimum order numbers. They will also ship your designed products directly to your customers, so once you have made a sale, you can sit back and relax.
CustomCat integrates with Shopify and WooCommerce, and you can also use their API for custom integrations, or place your orders manually by using a CSV file. They mainly focus on clothing apparel (t-shirts, hoodies, etc…) and accessories, and there are over 500 products to choose from.
They offer a quick turnaround, with orders being received, customized and leaving the factory within 2-3 days, and they also offer a range of different printing options including embroidery, direct to garment, and dye-sublimation, so you can make your product look exactly how you want it to.
If you are using Shopify or WooCommerce, your order will go straight through to CustomCat who will create your order, and ship it to your customer, fully white labeled. Your customer will automatically receive a notification once it has been shipped through your Shopify or WooCommerce’s API.
The Benefits of Using CustomCat
- There are over 500 products to choose from.
- CustomCat integrates directly with Shopify and WooCommerce.
- They offer a fully white-labeled service.
- There is a range of different printing options to choose from.
- They offer great pricing, so you can take advantage of higher profit margins than with other POD companies.
- They use the latest technology to ensure they are always producing the highest quality products.
The Downsides to Using CustomCat
CustomCat only has native integrations with Shopify and WooCommerce, so if you want to sell on another ecommerce platform you will need to use the API, or upload your orders manually.
CustomCat is free for WooCommerce users, and there is a free ‘Lite’ app for Shopify too. There is also a paid CustomCat plan for Shopify, which costs $30/month and gives you discounts on the products for higher profit margins, so this is an ideal option for high volume sellers.
If you would like to find out more about CustomCat, you can visit their website here.
Frequently Asked Questions:
CustomCat works with the images you select. Keep in mind they do not assume responsibility for copyright issues. By selecting the images, you are accepting the terms and agreements.
When talking about Elements, Zaffle is referring to all the creative assets used in the digital realm or in your products that are not restricted, such as lines, shapes, forms, and icons.
You can use Printify as a standalone platform for your business. If you want all the benefits of an e-commerce platform, you can integrate a sales channel.
Conclusion: Best Print on Demand Sites: Who Wins?
Since we have only included the best print on demand sites around, you can be sure that any of these choices would be a great option, so it depends on your business type and business model.
If you want to have full control of your own branding from a demand company then Printify and CustomCat are both great options, as they offer complete white label services, so you can sell your products from your own site and your customers will think they have come directly from you!
If you’re starting out on a budget then Zazzle might be a great option for you, as there are no upfront costs and a ready-made marketplace.
If you are still undecided on which platform to sell your products, check out our comparison of WooCommerce vs Shopify, to get the lowdown on these two e-commerce platforms. We also took a look at some Shopify alternatives that you might find useful too and the best dropshipping courses to take this year.