Last Updated on January 8, 2023 by DMEditor
While they are commonly leveraged by professional writers and editors, the best grammar and editing software solutions are also popular in the corporate world. Workers in all types of businesses are exceedingly using grammar and editing software at various levels.
Why, you ask?
Well, here’s the thing. According to a study that sampled 400 corporations with more than 100,000 employees across the US and the UK, poor communication is costing the average enterprise about $62.4 million annually in lost productivity.
Shocking, right? I know.
Thankfully though, organizations are progressively employing various methods to resolve the problem. And one of the approaches that have proven to be increasingly effective so far is the use of specialized grammar and editing software solutions.
This section of the blog takes a break from our usual ecommerce and marketing tools to give you unbiased guides and reviews of the top grammar and editing tools on the web.
In fact, we are widely recognized as authorities in the subject, and we continue to research extensively, as well as test out a wide range of established and emerging software solutions.
Now, to get you started on our reviews, we’ll walk you through 5 of the best grammar and editing software solutions we’ve sampled so far, as well as 4 emerging tools that are progressively creating ripples in the industry.
Hence, you might want to pay close attention if you’re a business owner, an employee, a member of the executive team, a merchant, a digital marketer, a professional writer, an editor, or a scholar.
This guide provides suitable software options for each of these use cases, as well as helpful little-known insights that could substantially influence your tool selection process.
However, before we dive into the intricacies of each solution, let’s get the basics right. What exactly are grammar and editing tools, and how do they impact the communication process?
What Are Grammar and Editing Software Solutions?
Allow me to jog your memory a little bit.
Can you recall the last time you wished you could take back a message or an email because of an embarrassing grammatical error?
I bet you do. Also, I guess you’ve probably experienced that sinking feeling when other parties flag up a couple of language errors in your published scripts. Or worse, perhaps you’ve had problems with your academic submissions due to unintended plagiarism issues.
All these are common scenarios in our everyday lives. And although most of the errors are made accidentally, the sad bit is, they are usually accompanied by major repercussions.
A series of grammar mistakes could, for instance, water down your otherwise solid write-up. In other cases, a basic omission or improper phrasing ends up completely altering the meaning of a message. Or worse, a well-intentioned message could quickly turn offensive because of a simple error.
Now, to avoid such occurrences, it’s always a good idea to proofread your text before sending, publishing, or submitting. The number of times you choose to do it depends on the purpose and value of the script.
It’s worth noting, however, that human proofreading is not completely foolproof. Even the most skilled linguists can understandably miss a couple of errors after several rounds of proofreading.
Well, that’s precisely where grammar and editing software solutions come in.
These are specially-built tools that stretch beyond the standard human abilities when it comes to analyzing text, as well as identifying and correcting possible errors. They are driven by sophisticated AI engines, which come loaded with context-sensitive algorithms, linguistic pattern recognition, plus grammar and syntax principles.
So far, grammar and editing tools have been in use for multiple years. But, they are now more intelligent than ever, thanks to the recent tech advancements in machine learning and automation.
They don’t operate the same way though. Rather, grammar and editing software solutions come with varying capabilities in many different forms.
While some can be smoothly integrated into email and text composers, others exist as independent SaaS solutions that are accessible directly through the web.
But, that’s not all. We’ve also sampled on-premise tools that are distributed in the form of installable apps, as well as smaller ones that come embedded in larger applications. The options here are endless.
That said, we’ve taken the time to identify the few best grammar and editing software solutions based on ease of use, pricing, accessibility, analytical capabilities, intelligence, accuracy, plus compatibility.
These are some of the tools you’ll find featuring predominantly in our guides and reviews.
5 Of The Best Grammar and Editing Software Solutions
Best Grammar and Editing Software Solution #1: Grammarly
Founded in 2009, Grammarly is, undeniably, one of the most popular grammar and editing software solutions. So much so that it now hosts more than 20 million active daily users and counting.
Well, of course, such a level of prominence is never accidental. Grammarly remains a darling to many because of its unmatched balance between functionality and pricing.
And as far as the former is concerned, Grammarly has quite an impressive array of intelligent tools for assessing all the common types of grammar errors, including passive phrases, overly-used words, misused words, and misspellings.
It doesn’t just identify the mistakes, though. Rather, Grammarly comes with an AI engine that further explores each error, then subsequently provides explanations, as well as suggestions on how to rectify every single mistake.
What’s more, Grammarly throws in a plagiarism checker to help you keep everything unique. You can be certain it’ll flag up all the phrases that have copied directly from other sources on the web.
Why We Like Grammarly Grammar and Editing Software
- Universal Compatibility: As a cloud service, Grammarly is essentially everywhere. You can, for instance, run your content through its main web system, which is accessible directly from Grammarly’s main site. Alternatively, you could install its Mac OS or Windows application directly onto your PC to analyze the text as you type. And the same applies to mobile users, as Grammarly happens to also provide a mobile keyboard for both iOS and Android devices.
But, it doesn’t end there. Grammarly is additionally available as an extension for Safari, Edge, Firefox, and Chrome browsers, plus Microsoft Office on Windows.
- Permanently Free: Although Grammarly unleashes its full power through its premium packages, it still provides a decent amount of features on its permanently free plan. Just enough to check and correct standard errors like misspellings and awkward phrases.
- Great User Support: If you ever experience a problem, Grammarly has a pretty responsive and knowledgeable support team. Plus, you’ll get access to quite an extensive user community, which currently hosts more than 10 million active members.
- Accurate and Comprehensive Analysis: You can trust Grammarly to check everything and detect every single mistake in your text. Its analytical engine happens to be one of the most accurate in the industry.
Plus, it won’t leave you hanging. Grammarly goes ahead and generates thoughtful suggestions for correcting your errors.
And to top it off, Grammarly awards a general 0-100 score based on your content’s overall readability, as well as the accompanying grammar error rate.
Grammarly Grammar and Editing Software Pricing
If you choose to upgrade from the Free package, here are your premium cost options:
- Monthly Subscription: A monthly billing schedule will cost you $29.95 per month.
- Quarterly Subscription: A quarterly billing schedule will cost you $59.95 every three months, which translates to $19.98 per month.
- Annual Subscription: An annual billing schedule will cost you $139.95 at the beginning of every 12 months, which translates to $11.66 per month.
Who Should Consider Using Grammarly Grammar and Editing Software?
Grammarly is well-developed for business professionals, students, bloggers, authors, scholars, and researchers. They get to use its tools to correct more than 250 types of errors in wordiness, vocabulary, sentences, format, structure, and spelling.
Best Grammar and Editing Software Solution #2: Ginger
Ginger software has been around since 2007, and it continues to use patent-pending tech to accurately rectify misused words, spelling mistakes, and grammar errors. More specifically, it looks into your sentence structure, subject-verb agreement, punctuation, text phrasing, and word spelling.
However, unlike Grammarly, the Ginger grammar and editing software doesn’t exactly amend your errors while providing detailed explanations. Instead, Ginger prefers to help you polish up your language skills through personalized training exercises that cover your principal weaknesses.
Don’t get me wrong though. I’m not saying Ginger is not the tool for correcting your grammar. As a matter of fact, it comes with a pretty sophisticated proofreader. The only thing is, it won’t generate as many insights as Grammarly.
But, when it comes to compatibility, Ginger can seamlessly integrate with social media platforms, plus a vast range of online business tools, including Zapier, Word, Slack, and Gmail.
Why We Like Ginger Grammar and Editing Software
- Contextual Grammar Checker: Ginger has proven to be an exemplary solution for not only identifying and correcting grammatical errors, but also enhancing language skills based on the context of your text.
Its grammar checker is intelligent enough to catch all types of typos and commonly-overlooked errors, after which it proceeds to provide accurate corrections and alternative sentence structures.
- Universal Compatibility: In addition to a web-based grammar checker, Ginger provides its language tools through browser extensions, as well as installable apps for Windows, MacOS, iOS, and Android. You also get to use it seamlessly on social media platforms and business applications such as Word and Outlook.
- Language Translation: Among Ginger’s suite of tools is the Ginger Translate, which is capable of accurately translating between 60 different languages. You just need to enter your text, pick your language options, and voila!
- Personalized Trainer: Improving your language doesn’t end with the Grammar Checker. Ginger further throws in a Trainer tool, which reviews your text, identifies the weak points, and then prepares well-personalized language lessons.
- Reasonable Pricing: Despite all the power it packs, Ginger is available at very reasonable rates. You could, for instance, settle for the free version, which comes with Translation, Ginger for Browsers, and Definitions. Then for as low as $6.66 a month, you can go premium and take advantage of Ginger’s error analysis, personalized training, sentence rephrasing, and unlimited grammar checking.
Ginger Grammar and Editing Software Pricing
If the free version of Ginger doesn’t serve you adequately, you can go ahead and upgrade to the premium version through any of these packages:
- Monthly Subscription: A monthly billing schedule will cost you $20.97 per month.
- Annual Subscription: An annual billing schedule will cost you 89.88 at the beginning of every 12 months, which translates to $7.49 per month.
- Two-Year Subscription: A two-year billing schedule will cost you $159.84 at the beginning of every 2 years, which translates to $6.66 per month.
Who Should Consider Using Ginger Grammar and Editing Software?
While Ginger can be leveraged by anyone who needs specialized proofreading, it’s perfectly ideal for individuals who are trying to learn and improve their English language skills. It comes with just the right set of tools for checking your grammar, translating text, rephrasing sentences, reading scripts, and personalized training.
Best Grammar and Editing Software Solution #3: ProWritingAid
ProWritingAid is a premium language tool that specializes in fixing vagueness, repetitiveness, overly-complicated sentences, passive voice, and misspellings. In short, it advertises itself as an all-in-one package for the smarter writer, which comes with a grammar checker, along with a style editor, and a writing mentor.
But, that’s not all. ProWritingAid further helps you find suitable words through its built-in word explorer and contextual thesaurus.
Overall, this is the software solution for analyzing your grammar, correcting awkward phrases, optimizing word choices, and reviewing punctuation.
Additionally, you should be able to integrate it with your browser, as well as Microsoft Word, Microsoft Outlook, Open Office, Scrivener, and Google Docs.
Why We Like ProWritingAid Grammar and Editing Software
- Comprehensive Grammar and Editing: ProWritingAid isn’t just a grammar checker. Rather, it supplements standard grammar analysis with intelligent contextual editing. It’s particularly reliable when it comes to fixing issues such as erroneous adverbs, passive voice, over-used phrases, complex sentence structures, long sentences, repetitiveness, and vague wording.
You also get to generate detailed error reports, which are pretty handy when you need to work on your weak areas. ProWritingAid even goes ahead and provides quick explanations on all the identified issues.
- Flexible Pricing: ProWritingAid offers various well-structured price options.
Its free version, to begin with, is entirely web-based, and it covers no more than 500 words at a time. On the bright side though, at least that comes with detailed writing reports, which are usually capped at 19.
The premium version, on the other hand, starts at $6.58 a month, along with an additional one-time payment option for lifetime subscribers.
- Multiple Integrations: Apart from its web-based grammar checker, ProWritingAid is available in the form of integrations for Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Word, Chrome, Safari, Firefox, Microsoft Edge, Open Office, Scrivener, and Google Docs.
- Word Choice Optimization: ProWritingAid’s Word Explorer is a robust tool for generating appropriate word options. More specifically, it generates vocabularies from usage examples, rhymes, cliche dictionary, alliteration dictionary, collocation dictionary, reverse dictionary, thesaurus, and of course, the standard dictionary.
ProWritingAid Grammar and Editing Software Pricing
In addition to its limited free version, ProWritingAid is available in the following premium options:
- Monthly Subscription: A monthly billing schedule will cost you $20.00 per month.
- Annual Subscription: An annual billing schedule will cost you 79.88 at the beginning of every 12 months, which translates to $6.58 per month.
- Lifetime Membership: You get to purchase a lifetime membership after paying a one-time fee of $299.
Who Should Consider Using ProWritingAid Grammar and Editing Software?
ProWritingAid is a great option for business writers, bloggers, and novelists who need to correct their punctuation, edit grammar, optimize word choice, and perfect their sentence structures.
Best Grammar and Editing Software Solution #4: WhiteSmoke
WhiteSmoke is one of the best grammar and editing software solutions for users seeking a holistic combination of tools.
And speaking of which, the type of users you should expect here include English learners, business professionals, as well as students. They get to use WhiteSmoke for correcting their punctuation errors, style mistakes, misspellings, sentence structures, and much more.
In essence. it comes 5 types of tools- a Grammar Checker, a Spell Checker, a Style Checker, a Punctuation Checker, and a Translator, which is capable of conducting both full-text and word-to-word translations between 55 languages.
That said, running WhiteSmoke shouldn’t be a problem at all, since it’s compatible with pretty much all the main PC and mobile browsers, including Firefox, Opera, Safari, plus Chrome.
And that’s not all. You could also proceed with a fully-integrated version for Windows or Mac PC. All this depends on how much you’re willing to pay for the solution.
Why We Like WhiteSmoke Grammar and Editing Software
- Writing Assistance: Among WhiteSmoke’s rich array of language tools, is a free writing assistant for people suffering from dyslexia. Then for English learners, WhiteSmoke includes a translator, along with multiple guides that provide helpful writing tips.
- Flexible Pricing: WhiteSmoke comes with two main packages, which offer different sets of language tools and integrations at varying price points. What’s more, you get to choose between annual and 3-year billing schedules.
- Multi-Platform Support: WhiteSmoke has something for everyone. People who prefer to do their writing online get a web-based system that’s compatible with any browser. Then PC writers, on the other hand, can proceed to fully integrate the software solution with their Windows or Mac-based systems. Mobile users have not been left out either, as WhiteSmoke is also compatible with both Android and iOS devices.
- Business Templates: If you’re unsure about the structure you should follow when writing a business document, WhiteSmoke has got you covered. It provides a collection of handy templates for all the standard business documents, including letters, as well as legal and medical writeups.
- Accurate Text Scores: When it comes to analyzing texts and awarding the relevant language scores, WhiteSmoke manages to dive much deeper than the likes of Grammarly. It reviews your performance based on multiple language parameters, after which it describes your overall text using plain words such as “Excellent”, “Fair”, and “Poor”.
WhiteSmoke Grammar and Editing Software Pricing
- Essential: The Essential package gives you a translator, a grammar checker, and a plagiarism checker for $9.95 per month. Alternatively, you could choose an annual payment of $79.95, or a 3-year rate of $159.95.
- Premium: The Premium option combines everything on the Essential package with a fully integrated writing solution for one PC, complete with one-click instant proofreading. This will cost you either $15.95 per month, 119.95 per year, or $299.95 for every 3 years.
Who Should Consider Using WhiteSmoke Grammar and Editing Software?
WhiteSmoke is particularly optimized for students, English learners, and business professionals who need a reliable solution for translating scripts, as well as checking punctuation, style, spelling, and grammar.
Best Grammar and Editing Software Solution #5: Hemingway Editor
Unlike most of the tools in this segment, the Hemingway Editor is specifically developed for optimizing readability.
In other words, it goes beyond the standard grammatical errors and misspellings to review even passive voice phrases, overused adverbs, complex sentences, overly-long sentences, and paragraph structures.
Overall, the principal objective here is to help you simplify your sentences and make everything much easier to read. That means readers get to spend less time perusing and understanding your text.
The tool itself can be accessed from any browser for free. But, for an in-depth analysis of all the readability parameters, you have to install the premium version – which will only cost you a one-time fee of $19.99.
Why We Like The Hemingway Editor
- Favorable Pricing: The Hemingway Editor doesn’t tie you down with subscription payments over the long haul. You either use the free online tool, or pay a one-time fee of $19.99 to download and install the full version on your PC.
That said, the Hemingway Editor is also available to enterprise users for a custom rate. You just need to get in touch with its sales team and they’ll be sure to give you a favorable quote.
- Improves Readability: This is just the right software solution for turning complex jargon into simple easily-digestible sentences. You can count on it to flag up punctuation errors, repetitive words, long paragraphs, irrelevant adverbs, passive voice, etc. It even awards scores based on your text’s overall readability.
The Hemingway Editor Pricing
The Hemingway Editor is fundamentally a free web-based system that offers just what you need to cut the dead weight from your writing.
Its premium version, on the other hand, offers additional flexibility and in-depth analysis for a one-time fee of $19.99. It comes in the form of an installable app, without any subscription payment obligations.
Who Should Consider Using The Hemingway Editor?
Because of its unparalleled ability to make content more attractive to readers, the Hemingway Editor is particularly suitable for bloggers, journalists, marketers, PR professionals, and novelists.
Other Notable Grammar and Editing Software Solutions
Other notable grammar and editing software solutions that you might want to look into include:
- Reverso: Reverso is yet another global leader when it comes to translating text and correcting grammar. Its translator covers all the popular languages, including Russian, Italian, Spanish, Hebrew, French, and English. Then the grammar checker, on the other hand, addresses complex sentence structures, plus errors with pronouns, articles, spelling, and verb tenses.
- Language Tool: Just like the name suggests, the Language Tool specializes in a range of languages, including Russian, German, Spanish, and English. It proofreads and detects thousands of grammatical mistakes, stretching from misspellings and regular typos to advanced errors like incorrect gender pronouns.
- PaperRater: Powered by artificial intelligence and data science, PaperRater is a robust tool that accurately checks for plagiarism, verb-subject agreement, syntax issues, and misspellings. But, while its entire system is web-based, you won’t be able to integrate it with any business tools, email, or social media. You can only submit your documents in rtf, txt, docx, or doc formats.
- Slick Write: Slick Write is a free online-based editor that detects misspellings, style issues, and typical grammar errors. Then after reviewing everything, it generates a graphical report with metrics on your passive voice and prepositional voice usage, as well the average time it takes to read your text, the accompanying paragraph, sentence, and word lengths, the number of adverbs and long sentences, plus of course, the total word count.
- Autocrit: If you are looking for a comprehensive manuscript editor, Autocrit is built for this type of writing. Whether you are writing fiction or non-fiction, Autocrit is designed for more than just your standard essay or post.
Ready To Improve Your Grammar and Editing?
And there you have it. 9 of the best grammar and editing software solutions, along with their features, plus the accompanying pricing options.
Please note, however, that we’ve barely scratched the surface here. There’s so much more you ought to explore about these solutions and many other options before making your final decision.
But, you know what? You don’t have to search far and wide. We’ve already done the hard part for you. Our team has thoroughly tested out a wide range of grammar and editing software solutions to give you an accurate account of the features, as well as the hidden weaknesses you should expect from each tool.
So, if you really want to choose the best solution for improving your grammar and editing, feel free to sample our individual reviews, comparison reviews, plus software roundups. You never know what you might discover. Even the little-known solutions could be packing a couple of pleasant surprises. Find out all about that from our reviews of the best grammar and editing software solutions.